Have you ever had a day where just nothing was going right? “Well, of course, who hasn’t?” you might say. Ok, so next question: could you do something about it? Already more difficult to answer, isn’t it?
And maybe – being already in a stressful situation, getting nothing to work, others putting more pressure on you – someone walks by, totally relaxed and throws a “hey, keep cool, just let it flow” at you. Now, that would help us, right? About as much as “a shot in the kneecap”, as we Austrians say.
Because the point is – we simply do not know “how to let it flow”. But there is a whole story behind this one expression and here are the good news: we can learn “how to let it flow”.
Everyone who has already dug deeper into all the info provided in this blog might have stumbled over terms like the “inner energy”, the “energy centers” and about “the vibrations” flowing through our body, to be exact, along our nervous systems. The little secret about it all is, that when this energy is awakened, when it starts “flowing” through our energy centers along the spinal cord and comes out on top of the head then there, right at the last energy center the connection with the Greater Energy around us takes place. And that is, where “the flow” starts.
To keep it flowing we need to meditate, means to be in mental silence, means to pull our attention on top of our head. In this state we allow the universe to provide us with as much energy as we need. One can say it is almost like a recycling process all negative energy that might trouble us is taken out, all energy that is nourishing us flows in.
Now we know why it is so important to give ourselves each day 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes in the evening: to let it flow.
There are a lot of things we can do to improve our meditation but let us begin simple:
The 7 steps to “Be In The Flow”
- Awaken Your Inner Energy
This is done only once and takes about 20 minutes. If you went through it already skip step 1). When your Inner Energy is activated it will stay so, there is no need to repeat the affirmations (although you can do so if you like)
- At the beginning and the end of each meditation we do what we call “raising the energy” and give ourselves “a shield of protection”.
Here is a nice animation how to do it: http://sahajayogawa.com/flash/charlie.swf
You can also find a detailed description in our Meditation Tips on page 4 and 5: Meditation Tips
- Put your right hand on your head for some seconds, put the hand down again but keep focused on the top of your head where your hand was.
- Sit still for about 10 minutes, hands palm upwards as shown in the photo above to let the energy flow freely through them, keep the focus on top of your head. If you find your mind wandering repeat step 3) as many times as it helps you to focus. If you feel like it have some pleasant music. In this time we allow the flow to happen – we do not need to do anything, just surrender to it.
- After the 10 minutes hold your hand over your head and see if you feel vibrations coming out – it might feel like a cool breeze, sometimes also like a warm breeze, like a tingling, or simply “somehow different”.
- End the meditation again with “raising the energy” and giving yourself “a bhandan” (shield of protection).
- Enjoy your day!
One small trick:
when you feel stressed during the day go somewhere with a little privacy (like the bathroom i.e.), raise your Inner Energy and give the shield of protection. It even helps already if you just press your hand on top of your head and focus there for some moments. And if you are a real pro then wherever you are just focus on top of your head for some moments – it can make all the difference!
I wish you a wonderful week full of meditative experiences!